Thursday, November 12, 2009

Surgery Update

Surgery went very well! And we got some very interesting news about lover's little voice. Since they were already going to be sedating her an ENT went in to check out her vocal cords to see why she has such a weak cry. Turns out she has left vocal cord paralysis. I have to look up more about this but the doctor said that she may grow out of it... but if it doesn't self-correct she may just have a softer voice. There is also therapy they can do I guess but not until she is older. The really crazy thing to me is that it looks to be congenital. Meaning she would have had it preemie for not. I do believe this is the first actual medical thing (other than a cold) that is not a direct relation to her early arrival. It's a bit of a reality check because I have built up in my mind that her troubles are over once she has her second surgery. I forget that she could have other things happen. Ah motherhood =) I can say that I officially not longer feel guilty for being grateful to have a baby with a little cry =) So she will have a softer voice... like she needed anything else to make her cuter!

As far as her heart surgery the surgeon is very pleased with how it went! Her blood pressure improved significantly immediately indicating better blood circulation (for my nurses... peripheral diastolic blood pressure from 17 to 44 instantly... now it's in the 60s) She has a little incision right under her left armpit and a little chest tube about halfway down her chest to drain any fluid. She will likely have her chest tube removed some time today... there was very minimal drainage yesterday. Once she got to the PICU after surgery she decided she had enough of her ventilator so she self-exbutated... HAHA little stinker. The nurse said to Chris and I that they typically like to leave the breathing tubes in longer but she had other plans for that stinking tube =) Thats my fiesty little peanut!

She has been sleeping most of the night. We are going to try to feed her today when she wakes up. They have been wonderful about making sure she is comfortable... apparently this surgery can be very painful. I imagine it would be considering they have to go between ribs. She is feeling very sore. I think that's all I have for now. Thank you to everyone for all the thoughts and prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment